Thursday, March 10, 2011

Ash Wednesday

On Ash Wednesday, it's customary for Catholics to fast.  This basically means you can eat 1 small meal as your dinner while fasting throughout the morning, or you can eat small snacks that add up to 1 small meal throughout the course of the day.

I thought it would be best to make lunch my meal for the day so that I wasn't going too long without food.

I happened to be at one of my favorite places, Panera Bread, for lunch with my mom and my daughter.


(Panera Bread, WOOT!)

Now while I was dining as a vegetarian, Panera Bread was an awesome choice for eating out.  I absolutely adore their tomato and mozzarella panini and Greek salad.  However, I knew both of those options would be out due to the cheese factor, so I used my phone to look up the vegan options at Panera.  All of their ingredients are available on their website (and although this seems standard, most people would be floored to know how many restaurants refuse to disclose their ingredients.  It really makes you wonder what exactly they're afraid of, doesn't it?)

As it turns out, one of my other favorite sandwiches called the Mediterranean Veggie is vegan if you ask for no feta.  The black bean soup is vegan, but unfortunately wasn't on the menu, so I looked for the other veganized option:  Garden Vegetable with Pesto, but without the pesto (it's stirred in I suppose?  But you can ask for the vegetable soup without that addition.)

The Mediterranean Veggie has cilantro hummus, salt & black pepper, fresh cucumber, green leaf lettuce, red onions, fresh tomatoes, zesty peppadew piquant peppers on tomato basil bread.  However, a few other bread choices are vegan, including my favorite-- sourdough.


(The sandwich above is pictured as it's listed on the menu, with feta on tomato basil.)

The veggie soup is hearty and fulfilling with a tomato base and chunky vegetables-- a comfort foods classic.


My experience at Panera was great.  While my choices were somewhat limited, they were delicious and satisfying.  I'm used to having only a couple of options due to being vegetarian, and most of my favorites were still available with slight modifications.

Thank you, Panera, for offering some choices for vegans! :)  Day one, so far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment